Saturday, September 18, 2010

Hemlock & Silver

  1. It is a privilege to debut a first novel with a press like Gaspereau. This reality takes me, increasingly, as we get close to launch.

    I live in 'Sin-Jauns", a small city rich in writers celebrated nationally and beyond. In my 15 minute walk to work, it can routinely to pass the likes of Lisa Moore, Ken Harvey, Bernice Morgan, Michael Crummey or Susan Rendell.

    What a town.

    Some of these and other author-friends have described parts of their process with other, often larger, publishers. They share concerns about: the ultimate title of their book, the design. Hoping the jacket will be good, once they finally see it.

    Therein lay my pleasure of late.

    Gaspereau's Andrew Steeves, celebrated for his book design, typographical expertise and overall love of books, has patiently asked my thoughts at every turn. Granted, I could get hit by a bus or steal away with some witness-protection-program and, rest assured, my book would look and feel great. None-the-less, he is patient and caring.

    I'm no designer, but Andrew sure is. I appreciate a day of working through 7 different jacket versions, each tweaked toward our common goal. I appreciate the simple email, asking me to review colours, inks and paper stocks, before he commits. We ended up with a deep-green jacket built of a paper named Hemlock and an ink born of silver.

    I am beginning to feel sorry for those poor louts at the bigger houses. Cheers to Andrew, and Gaspereau.

    Today's NL word is WRINKLE, it begins chapter 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment